Monday, July 2, 2012

How to Be Successful in an Internet Home Based Business: 6 Crucial Tips

90% of new internet home based businesses will fail in the first 2 years. You don't have to be a part of that statistic. If you want to learn how to be successful in an internet home based business, follow these guidelines and I guarantee and you will substantially increase your chances of being in that 10%!

1. Dedicate time

Dedicate time to your new business. This works both ways. Some may not put in enough time and some put in too much time. Dedicate a certain amount of hours per day to focus specifically on your business. Going over that can cause you to be exhausted and overwhelmed. Not putting in enough time can prevent you from being successful down the road.

2. Don't give up!

For most of us who have been in an internet home based business for a while, we know it takes time. Granted there are a few that are successful overnight but for the majority of us we need time to learn and prosper before we see the benefits. Many new sellers will quit too early. Don't give up. Learn your market, learn what works and keep trying. Success takes time.

3. Research and education

If I had to suggest which of all of these guides I would say research and education is the most important. Learn to work smarter, not harder. For example, let's say you would like to place an ad. Is it where you will find your target market? Is your ad effective (does it interest your potential buyer?). If not, you've just threw money away. Don't just dive in without knowing. This is where many business owners become discouraged and quit.

4. Business plan

This scares many new business owners and many times you may not know what is going to benefit you. When I began selling on eBay 7 years ago I started with Gymboree clothing and then moved on to designing and creating personalized little girl dresses. Since then I have found a better market for personalized pillows both for adults and children. Over time, it has changed. Don't think of a business plan as concrete. It will evolve over time. But you do this to set your plan in action. This helps you to be organized by knowing what you will sell, who your target market is, how you will market and sell, and what makes your internet home based business different from other sellers selling the same products. Some of this can only be done by utilizing education and learning first (tip 3).

5. Looking professional

Your website, whether it's your own personal website or on eBay, Etsy, Amazon etc., should look professional. This has a big impact on whether a buyer will purchase or not. If I were to buy a costume for my daughter, would I buy one on Party City or a new seller on Amazon? Granted price would be an issue. I can tell you the Amazon seller needs to have that item significantly less for me to take a chance of purchasing from him/her. I can't take a chance my daughter doesn't have her costume by Halloween or receive the wrong size. The more professional you are, the more likely the potential buyer will trust you.

6. Excellent Customer service

You want your clients to come back. Most importantly you want your clients so happy they tell others how wonderful your product is. Over time this will help you substantially, more than any advertisement. Potential buyers are more likely to buy a product if someone they trust has purchased and is satisfied. Not only do I provide a well crafted product, I go out of my way to personally thank my client when they purchase and again when I am ready to ship their item. I include their name in the email as well so they know I wrote the email specifically for them. I can't tell you how effective that has been in obtaining repeat clients. I treat each of my buyers the best I can.

Overall, if you follow these tips on how to be successful in an internet home based business and work effectively, you will succeed.

I've been in sales for approximately 20 years now with 8 of those years online. I can honestly say that education is the key to success in online marketing. Please feel free to visit my blog
for daily tips and resources in effective marketing. Please feel free to contact me with any questions anytime! Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment